As a twelve-year-old girl, we face lots of challenges. We are growing up and it can be hard not to be daunted by tough situations. Here are five problems that most twelve-year-old girls face and some ideas for getting through.
School can be a nightmare for many - constant pressure as you enter High School, and start a new chapter of your life. Often, teachers will pressure you to get work done in a time limit that just doesn’t work, and you wish that you could just catch a break. All this pressure can make it hard to cope with stress. Everybody gets stressed, it is a normal feeling, but sometimes stress can cause us to lose everything and become disorganised. Having someone moan at you for forgetting a book or your homework can be frustrating, so here are some ways to stay calm and organised.
1. When revising don't just sit there learning for hours on end, take small amounts of time to go outside and take a break.
2. Use post-it notes to stick around with little reminders
3. Make a “Revision Wall” in your bedroom
4. Get a diary/planner so you know where to be for lessons
5. If you feel stressed, then talk to someone you trust, whether parent, teacher or friend.
Friends can be great but sometimes friends can hurt feelings and cause arguments, and sometimes you can feel like you must be “someone you’re not” around your friends to fit in. Here are some ways to help you out with friendships:
1. Be yourself, if someone doesn’t like you for who you are then they are not worth being with or talking too.
2. If you have a fight with a friend, think about what you might have done wrong before you go and blame the other person.
3. Don’t just shout at your friend: stop, think, act.
4. Be friends with who you want to be friends with, be nice to everybody, but you don’t have to talk to someone who treats you badly.
Makes sure you use social media wisely and remember that it distorts real life a lot.
1. When it is time to stop, stop.
2. Don’t wake up because of that ping from your phone. Switch your phone off at night.
3. Turn off your location when using it - no one needs to know where you are.
4. Only talk to people you know from real life; strangers don’t need to know your life story.
5. Don’t compare the social media “perfect person” to your flaws, things people post is often done through filters.
6. Don’t put up with being bullied on social media – report it.
The way you look is the perfect you, here are some tips on how to look your best:
1. Wear something you feel comfy in - feeling good is the main thing and the better you feel, the more confident you are
2. You’re unique and you don’t need to dress how others do.
3. Don’t let people change you if your friends are all wearing the same colour then don’t change -just be your amazing self!
4. There is no need to constantly wear make- up, wear it if you want to, not because you “need too.”
Family is great, and remember just because you’re older now doesn’t mean you can’t get a lot out of your family relationships.
1. Treat your family with kindness
2. Show them that you love them
3. go out on trips with the family
4. Send them a nice text or email to show that you care
5. make time for your family.
6. talk to your parents – they have your back.
Your parents have been through it too - believe it or not they were once twelve and had to go through the same issues as you’re going through. They have experience and advice, and even though you may see them as the bringers of nagging and demands, they are actually trying to make you a better person.
So here are some ways to rock being a twelve-year-old girl! I hope that they have helped you to be your best self.